eLearning During Inclement Weather Days
As we start the 2021-2022 school year, the New London-Spicer School District will be utilizing up to five eLearning days when school is canceled due to inclement weather. If we have more than (5) inclement weather days, the school board will determine if the days will be made up. Any time school is canceled, families will receive an automated phone call, text message, and email from the school district if you are signed up to receive the notification through Parent Portal. In addition, the district will post messages on local tv and radio stations, on the school district website, and on our social media sites. Our Early Childhood Education programs and Cub Kids Preschool will be closed on weather days and will not participate in eLearning.
If an eLearning day is called, families, students, and staff will have some time to adjust their day. Teachers will be accessible both online and by telephone during normal school hours on an eLearning day to assist parents and students. If you need technical assistance during an eLearning day, please call our technical assistance hotline at 320.354.2252 ext. 2354. This hotline is only available on eLearning days to provide technical support to families.
Why eLearning Days?
When we have weather-related school cancellations, instructional time is lost. While eLearning days cannot replace the face-to-face time students have with their teachers, it can provide better continuity when the interruption occurs. Click here to read our eLearning Plan.
Minnesota State Statute 120A.414 allows school districts to call eLearning Days in times of inclement weather. As a result, the New London-Spicer school district worked with their building leadership teams to build an eLearning Day process for our school district to utilize in the 2021-2022 school year and beyond.
District-wide specific items are as follows:
- Frequency: The school district will only utilize a maximum of five eLearning days throughout a school year.
- Adoption and Consultation: The school board adopted this plan after the district completed consultation with the exclusive representative of the teachers. This consultation took place in building leadership teams.
- Technology Accommodations: Any family in need of a device outside of district issued devices or in need of internet access must contact the district’s Technology Coordinator at the beginning of each school year to formally request such items. Our Technology Coordinator is Dan Rajewsky and he can be reached at RajewskyD@nls.k12.mn.us or via telephone at 320.354.2252.
- Annual Notification: The district will provide all families with notification of any changes to it’s eLearning Plan. This notification will take place at the beginning of each school year.
- Daily Notification: In the event an eLearning day needs to be called, families and students will be notified at least two hours prior to the normal school start time.
- Teacher Access: Teachers will be accessible both online and by telephone during normal school hours on an eLearning day to assist parents and students.
Prairie Woods Elementary
Building Administrator: Mr. Randy Juhl, JuhlR@nls.k12.mn.us, or by phone at 320.354.2252 Press 1
Student Work Guidelines: All activities and assignments for an eLearning day will be posted to Seesaw no later than 10:15 that day.
Kindergarten - 3rd Grade: Students will receive an eLearning Days board via paper copy. It will also be posted on Seesaw. The eLearning Day board will be completed per directions listed on top of the board. If possible, students are encouraged to connect via Zoom with their class.
4th Grade: Students will participate and complete learning activities and post to Seesaw. If possible, students are encouraged to connect via Zoom with their class.
Specialist Classes: Students will be required to complete one activity on the Specialist e-Learning Board and submit via Seesaw.
Prairie Woods Zoom Meeting Times: Students are encouraged to join Zoom during their scheduled time below. However, additional meeting times may be scheduled per classroom teacher.
1st Grade: 10:45 am
2nd Grade: 11:00 am
3rd Grade: 11:15 am
4th Grade: 10:15 am
Attendance: Submitted assignments will be used to track attendance on eLearning Days. Students who submit the assigned work within two days of the e-learning day will be marked present for the day. Students who do not complete their assignments will be considered absent for the day.
Middle School & High School
Middle School Building Administrator: Dr. Jennifer Fuchs, FuchsJ@nls.k12.mn.us, or by phone at 320.354.2252 Press 3
High School Building Administrator: Mr. Jamie Boelter, BoelterJ@nls.k12.mn.us or by phone at 320.354.2252 Press 4
MS & HS Classes will follow the 2 hour late schedule:
Hour 1: 10:15-10:49 (34 minutes)
Hour 2: 10:53-11:27 (34 minutes)
Hour 3: 12:00-12:34 (34 minutes)
Hour 4: 12:38-1:12 (34 minutes)
Hour 5: 1:16-1:50 (34 minutes)
Hour 6: 1:53-2:27 (34 minutes)
Hour 7: 2:30-3:05 (35 minutes)
Students will Zoom into classes starting at the beginning of the class period. Our attendance policy will continue to be followed on an eLearning Day. Teachers will take attendance, instruct, and inform students about what assignments and activities need to be completed. Assignments will be found and submitted on Schoology.
eLearning for Students with IEPs and/or 504 Plans
Individual planning teams will determine specific plans based on unique student needs. The IEP or 504 team will need to discuss the services to be provided to the student, including a description of how the student will access the technology and curriculum. This information should be included in the service narrative of IEPs and 504 Plans as appropriate. Related services that fall on eLearning Days should also be considered.